Monday, May 5, 2014

Time Out For Mommy..


At the end of April I was able to attend a women's conference sponsored by Deseret Books called, Time Out For Women. The closest event to us this year was Cincinnati,OH so my mom and I hopped in the car and drive the 2 hours to take a time out! Originally my mother-in-law, Wendy, was going to join us but she ended up getting sick last minute. I don't think I have EVER taken a trip alone with just my mom so needless to say, it was fun! 
It's a pretty huge event, and a lot of women who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints attend. However,  I was pleasantly thrilled to learn that many bring friends who are not of our faith. It's a feel good women's conference where you kind of get a whole bunch of "pep talks" and a few "wake up calls" and come out realizing that life is going to be all right! At least I always do. I enjoy listening to how others have overcome trials, connected more with their savior, laughed through spiritual adventures and cried when needed. It helps me realize I am not alone and it is okay to feel defeated sometimes, as long as that then brings you to your knees and closer to The Lord! We all need to "Come unto Him" and I know that I'm not perfect but neither is anyone else, and that is a wonderful thing! 
There is a slight fanfare that comes with Time Out for Women and some of the presenters have huge fans. It's cool, but I try really hard not to be a groupie.....except this time! Sis. Elaine Dalton was a Friday night speaker and if you are not of our faith, she used to be the Young Women general president for our church. So basically she was like me, a young women president, only she covered ALL GIRLS 12 to 18 IN THE ENTIRE CHURCH OVER THE ENTIRE WORLD!!! Amazing to say the least. So I hung back with friends after the Friday session and waited until most everyone had left, and then I did it! I bravely went up to her and introduced myself and let her know how much I admired her all these years and now find myself searching for ways to be a great YW leader.
She was awesome as she held my hand and told me all would be well if I remembered one thing..."Love those girls, Abby. Love them with all your heart and the rest will come!" WOW! That's it, love them? I thought I was going to get tons of advice and words I had never heard of before but her message was simple and yet piercing to my soul. I was grateful for that as recently I had been feeling like love was not enough....but it really is!! To my young women who might read this, if you only knew how much I love you!!! I think of ALL of you daily and feel like I have 28 amazing daughters!! It's awesome!! I digress...
Sis. Elaine Dalton is a mighty woman of God and I was blessed to speak with her! She even was willing to take a picture with me and my mighty women of God friends, Kami and Reva..
Not a great picture but great women!! I realize as I am writing this, I didn't take any pictures with my mom!!! I was always either taking pictures for others or she was taking pictures of me but so the world knows....the first and most important woman in my life who taught me about Heavenly Father and our Savior was my sweet mother, Shirley!! She is truly a fierce woman of God! 
Anyway, it was a great weekend filled with some fun, lots of Kolterman bars, late night at a bar/grill eating BBQ sauce and quesadillas, and a lot of spiritual uplift!!! I even tried to win a Instagram contest by taking pictures and adding hashtags but alas....other women were far more creative than me.
Best BBQ sauce ever!!!
Best tote bag they have given out so far!!
Like I said....I was trying to win a contest!
I can't forget Hillary Weeks!!! A gospel singer/songwriter who is well known in LDS culture. She is AWESOME and has a magnificent voice! I also met Chris Williams, who lost part of his family in a car accident in 2007. He has a "Mormon Message" about his story. If you don't know it, I suggest you visit lds.org and look it up! It's about forgiveness, just to warn you.
All in all, it was a terrific weekend filled with lots of great thoughts and inspiration! I'm glad my mom and I got to hang out just the two of us and get at least one night this year where we were not awakened by small children. Not to mention, Andy did an amazing job holding down the fort while we were away. I'm glad I was able to go and I can't wait for next year as TOFW comes back to INDY!!! (Details coming soon...) 








No comments:

Post a Comment